March 9, 2016
Spring has sprung. Well, according to the calendar ( a bit skeptical as I sit here looking at the rain with the heating on full blast).
Spring is officially the time to have a good clear out and get fresh for the new season. As you would spring clean your house, we believe what a perfect opportunity to spring clean the office. If you don’t keep on top of it all year ( tut tut!), do not worry, it is never too late.
With our easy to follow simple checklist, don’t delay!
- Disinfect – remove everything off your desk, and disinfect. The same with drawers, and any filing cabinets and shelves
- Always have an anti bacterial hand gel in your office
- Do not eat by your desk – crumbs – enough said
- Review your paperwork and shred anything not required
- Old pens and odds and end you don’t use
- All items to have a designated zone. Glass jars or pots are brilliant for storing stationary. Paper to be stored in a filing tray or drawer.
- Divide your work space into zones. For example, filing, stationary, charging equipment, phones and tablet
- Storage solutions – the basics are a cabinet or drawers, a shelf, in and out trays and desk dividers
- Short term storage – Use a basket. Anything you are keeping temporarily. This way, it is separate from your storage you have organised
- Desktop – you didn’t think we would forget this did you? Desktop backgrounds easily get obscured with icons. File away documents that you’ll need again, and send everything else off to the virtual recycle bin. Not only will you have a much more attractive looking desktop screen, but you will save countless hours searching for your important documents.
Invest the time to properly organize your space, so files, supplies, and other items are in an intuitive, easy-to-find place. Once a month will suffice and perhaps schedule in time so you don’t forget. Once you have established a system that works for you, stick to it! Spending a few seconds to return items to a designated spot will help you save lots of time in the long run.